Oxford to Cambridge Expressway proposals
As part of the plan to turn the Oxford to Cambridge ‘brain belt’ into Britain’s “Silicon Valley”, government plans are to build thousands of new homes along the Oxford to Cambridge axis, so new towns or even cities are possible. Both Calvert and Winslow may see major expansion. The expressway itself may be either a dual carriageway or even a motorway. Highways England’s indicative timescale for the Expressway are shown below: https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/oxford-to-cambridge-expressway/
- September 2018 – Corridor B (roughly following rail line) was chosen.
- Autumn 2019 – Detailed route options published for public consultation.
- Autumn 2020 – Preferred route announcement.
- 2020 – 2025 – Consultation and preparation of orders, Development Consent Order application, Examination by Planning Inspectorate and decision.
- 2025 – Start of construction.
- 2030 – Indicative date for road opening.
Swanbourne Parish Council is strongly opposed to any route that might run close to our village through Swanbourne Parish and questions the need for a dual carriageway which would compete with East-West Rail for business. If you wish to contact Highways England about this matter, please contact the Environment Team:- OxfordtoCambridgeExpressway@highwaysengland.co.uk